Maren had a slumber party with 2 of her cousins last friday, and she wanted to do a fun craft. Since all of them have American Girl dolls, we thought it would be fun to make something for them. While browsing on amazon, I noticed they have craft kits for making doll aprons, and I thought "Hey, that would be fun!" but I didn't want to spend $15 a kit. I was thinking of how to make aprons easily so the girls could do a lot of the work, and I remembered a "simple sewing" Klutz book Maren found at a yard sale that has a "dish towel apron" project and thought I could do the same sort of thing with washcloths for the dolls, which would be a lot cheaper than buying the kit. Now aren't you glad I explained all that?
Anyway, on to the project. And forgive me for being lousy at giving adequate instructions, but you can probably figure it out by looking at the pictures, right?
I bought bright pink washcloths at WalMart for $1.88. I also bought matching ribbon and some fun iron-ons.
First, we sewed ribbon on one edge. (except I don't have a picture of this because the first time we made one I forgot and we ended up using iron on tape to stick the ribbon on later. But sew it on if you remember)
Next, we folded it up about a third of the way and sewed down the sides and sewed 2 pockets.
Then I flipped it over and folded the other 2 corners down and sewed diagonally to make a pocket to slide the tying ribbon through.
To finish it off we ironed on some flower decorations and put the ribbon through.
With guidance, the girls were able to do most of the sewing on their own. I did the sewing down the sides because the thickness made it a bit tricky. Maren also thought it would be fun to buy matching hand towels to make aprons for themselves, but we just didn't have time.